I consider my research agenda as an arc that began with wartime violence that continues now on how actors attempt to establish political order and build peace. In my first book, I showed how institutions shaped the behavior of both armed groups and civilians to explain how political cleansing became a feature of the Colombian civil war. Now I study the effects of that violence by focusing on civilian resettlement, peacebuilding and state-building.
- 2017. Democracy and Displacement in Colombia’s Civil War. Cornell University Press.
- 2019. “Civilian Resettlement Patterns in Civil Wars.” Journal of Peace Research. Special Issue on Refugees, Forced Migration, and Conflict.
- 2018. “Endogenous Taxation in Ongoing Internal Conflicts: The Case of Colombia,” with Rafael Ch, Jacob N. Shapiro, and Juan F. Vargas. American Political Science Review.
- 2018. “Democracy and Civil War: The Case of Colombia,” with Livia I. Schubiger. Conflict Management and Peace Science.
- 2018. “IDP Resettlement and Collective Targeting during Civil War: Evidence from Colombia.” Journal of Peace Research.
- 2017. “Constraining the Samurai: Rebellion and Taxation in Early Modern Japan,” with Christopher Paik and Seiki Tanaka. International Studies Quarterly.
- 2017. “Subcontracting State-building.” with Jacob N. Shapiro. Small Wars and Insurgencies.
- 2016. “Warfare, Political Identities, and Displacement in Spain and Colombia,” with Laia Balcells. Political Geography.
- 2015. “True Believers, Deserters, and Traitors: Who Leaves Insurgent Groups and Why,” with Ben Oppenheim, Juan F. Vargas and Michael Weintraub. Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- 2011. “Electing Displacement: Political Cleansing in Apartadó, Colombia.” Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- 2009. “Seeking Safety: Displacement and Targeting in Civil Wars.” Journal of Peace Research. Vol 46, No. 3. 419-430.
- 2008. “Moving Targets: Mixing Methods to Uncover Dynamics of Displacement in Civil Wars.” Qualitative Methods. Spring. pp 23-26.
Under review & In progress
- 2019. “Civil War Victimization, Political Engagement, and Attitudes towards Peace,” with Helga Malmin Binningsbø, Marianne Dahl, Håvard Mokleiv Nygård, and Michael Weintraub.
- 2018. “The Subnational State: A Typology for Cross-National Comparison,” with Imke Harbers. Revise & resubmit at Latin American Politics and Society.
- 2017. “Illicit Behavior and the Foundations of State-building in Colombia,” with Rafael Ch, Jacob N. Shapiro, and Juan F. Vargas. Working paper.
- 2012. “State-building, Counterinsurgency, and Development in Colombia,” with Jacob N. Shapiro. Presented at the Nuevas Perspectivas sobre la Violencia conference, Universidad de los Andes and Harvard University, Bogotá, May.
- 2011. “Armed Group Defection in Civil War,” with Sarah Zukerman Daly. Prepared for the Annual American Political Science Association Conference, Seattle. August 24.
- 2010. Overview of Demobilization, Disarmament, and Reintegration Programs and Amnesty/Justice Legal Framework in Colombia
- 2007. “Massive Civilian Displacement in Civil War: Assessing Variation in Colombia.” Households in Conflict Working Paper 29.
- 2007. “Settlement and Sovereignty: Rethinking State-building and War,” with Ryan Sheely. Paper prepared for the Annual Convention of the American Political Science Association. Chicago, IL.
- 2006. “Insecurity and Opportunity in Colombia: Linking Civil War and Human Trafficking,” in Karen Beeks and Delila Amir, Eds., Trafficking & the Global Sex Industry. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, Inc. pp 77-93.
- Forthcoming. “Borderlands.” Review of Borderland Battles: Violence, Crime and Governance at the Edges of Colombia’s War (Oxford) by Annette Idler. Perspectives on Politics.
- 2019. “The Strength of the Weapons of the Weak.” Review of Resisting War: How Communities Protect Themselves (Cambridge) by Oliver Kaplan. International Studies Review.
- 2010. Comparative Political Studies. Review of John A. Booth and Mitchell Seligson. 2009. The Legitimacy Puzzle in Latin America: Political Support and Democracy in Eight Nations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.